Friday, 29 May 2020 Sydney

Tackle your tax bill today::

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is today reminding taxpayers who have been issued with a tax bill after lodging their 2016–17 return that in most cases these are due by 21 November.

Assistant Commissioner Kath Anderson says anyone finding it hard to pay their bill by the due date should contact the ATO as soon as possible.

“There are a range of things we can do to help you meet your obligations. The most important thing is that you get in touch with us so we can talk you through the available options,” Ms Anderson says.

“For example, we can work with you to set up a payment plan that works with your situation. Taxpayers with a tax bill of less than $100,000 can generally set up their own plan through their myGov account.

“We also have an online payment estimator that will help you work out regular payment amounts. It can be used to find out how quickly you can pay off a tax bill and how much interest you could be charged.”

Ms Anderson encourages anyone yet to lodge their 2016–17 return to do so as quickly as possible.

“If you’re expecting to have a tax bill please don’t put off lodging, we can help even if you think you will have  difficulty paying your bill all at once,” says Ms Anderson.

“We can even suggest ways to help you manage your tax for the year ahead, such as pre-paying your tax throughout the year, at times and in amounts that work for you.”

Taxpayers using a registered agent might have a later due date for payment of their debt. Most agents have a lodgment program that allows them to lodge returns for their individual clients later than the usual deadline. For agent clients, the due date for payment is linked to the lodgement due date.

“If you do have tax owing, your agent will let you know when your payment is due. You will also be able to see the due date on your Notice of Assessment” Ms Anderson says.

“And remember, if you think you’ve made a mistake or forgotten to include something in your return, it’s easy to make an amendment. You can do so by either accessing our online services using your myGov account or by contacting your agent.”

To use our online payment plan estimator, visit

To set up a payment plan, visit